Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Ravinia Garden Club was organized on August 16, 1927, by gardeners in a newly subdivided area of southeast Highland Park. Established to help educate the community in the art of gardening in the difficult conditions presented by the heavily forested woods and ravines that came to be the namesake of the community, founded as woman's club. Like other charitable Garden Club organizations of the era, they became well known for assisting with and sponsoring many horticultural related personal and civic projects throughout the years, often at the behest of the local, State, and Federal governments; in addition, to becoming a well-known philanthropic organization.
The Ravinia Garden Club nurtured initiatives beyond projects or public works. Endeavors also encompassed initiatives like the Garden Therapy project (which helped boost troops’ morale at Fort Sheridan during World War II), sponsoring youth education, and donating to botanical gardens and arboretums, and fund-raising for various other meritorious organizations and causes.
In 2017, members currently live in several communities in Lake county and elsewhere.
For a more complete history written by the organization, please see box 2.